Policies

Policies

Food Allergen-Safe Schools

We have several students who have anaphylaxis, a life-threatening allergy to peanuts, other types of nuts, and other food products. Children with life-threatening allergies could go into Anaphylactic Shock; that is, they would get very sick, their throat would close up and they could stop breathing. This can happen very quickly.

These children have been taught all the rules about not sharing food, but they are young and we worry that they might forget or touch something with residue that they cannot see. If even the tiniest amount enters their body through eyes, nose or mouth, they can have a severe reaction.

We ask that you help keep our students safe by not sending food with peanuts/nuts or “may have come in contact with nuts” warnings on the labels. Nut butter substitutes are also not to be sent to school in order for our lunch supervision staff to ensure there is no confusion when it comes to the products in lunches and the safety of all students.

Parents may be asked to avoid packing lunches with other foods that could result in a severe allergic reaction for a classmate. In those instances, parents will receive information from the classroom teacher.

Students who come to school with any nut or other identified food allergens may be asked to eat in a separate room. We ask for your help and cooperation in this matter.

Thank you for helping to keep these children’s world safe!